Miss R Norrie-Loewenthal explored the possibility of starting a church. This
was at a time when there were no churches or Sunday schools of any denomination to serve the spiritual needs of the community of Midrand. After talks with Miss Loewenthal, Canon Urquart agreed to hold services provided there was attendance of at least eight people.

6 June 1950

The Anglican Church society of Midrand was formed which fell under the Parish of the North Rand. Sunday school started in one of the classrooms in the
old Halfway House School on Market Street.

13 September 1950

First confirmation took place.

1955 - 1961
Serving the Community

Fr Denison Smith bacame the Priest assisted by Fr Bosman.

Growing the Word

At the request of Bishop Ambrose Reeves, Fr Kenneth Webster established
an Anglican congregation in Bramley, St Catherine’s.


Land is sought to build the church. The land was identified on the corner of
Church Street and Richards Drive.


Transfer of land took place.


St Monnica’s became the chapelry of St Catherine’s with Fr Webster as the

August 1963
God's Plan

Plans of the new church building were approved.

4 July 1964
Breaking Ground

Building started, with the foundation stone laid by Bishop Strandling in
the following month.

7 March 1965

The St Monnica’s building was dedicated by Arcdeacon FJ Newth

1969 – 1976

Fr Roy Kinston became Rector of the Parish of Bramley.

The sundial at the foot of the pathway to the church was donated by Fr Webster’s wife in his memory.

April 1970

A parish room and store room were added to the budlings.


Fr Patrick Glover became the Rector of the Parish of Bramley with St
Monnica’s as a chapelry.

2 May 1976
New Beginnings

The new church building was consecrated.

11 November 1981

St Catherine’s Council meeting resolved to establish St Monnica’s as an independent parish.


Fr Donald Ingram became the first Rector of St Monnica’s

Serving the Parish

Fr Charles A Germond became the Rector and served for four years.

Coming together

Fr Doug Wessels became the Rector and served for 10 years. He was later
joined by Fr Duncan Mboinyane as the church started its journey of racial integration.

1990 – 2006

With construction expanding in Halfway House the church had to
relocate. Johnnic Construction approached the church as plans to build Gallagher Estate were underway and swapped land to the current St Monnica’s location.

3 December 1995

The new church was dedicated by Bishop Duncan Buchanan.

Shaping the Future

Revd Patricia Lane became the first female Rector, assisted by Revd Pam
Berning, Fr David Mapheng and Fr MacGlory. It was during her tenure that St
Monnica’s changed from the Parish of Halfway House to the Parish of Halfway Gardens.

St Monnica’s became involved in the training of ordinants, and it was during this time that Revd Sue Ray and Revd Christine Norton were ordained.

The All Saints Chapelry in Rabie Ridge was stablished under the over the oversight of Fr David Mapheng.


Revd Sue Ray served as Interim Priest during the parish’s interregnum.

Return to God

Fr Peter Monageng served as the Rector, assisted by Fr Ruben Ndlovu and
later Revd Vicentia Kgabe who had oversight of All Saints Chapelry. After the death of Fr Monageng, Fr Andrew Payne and Revd Vicentia Kgabe served as Interim Priests.

2007 – 2015

Fr Xolani Dlwati was appointed as the new Rector, and was assisted
by Fr Molefi Olifant and Revd Zanele Mtshali who had oversight for All Saints
Chapelry. He was later assisted by Revd Coto Makaba, Fr Clayton Moitsiwa, Fr Mzwandile Mzamane, Fr Themba Vundla, Revd Canon Dr Mongezi Guma.

The Christ the King in Mayibuye was also established as a Chapelry.

2015 – 2016

Fr Clayton Moitsiwa was appointed as the Priest-in-Charge.

2017 – October 2021

Revd Jacqueline Williams served as the Rector.

2021 – 2022

Fr Sepadi Moruthane started his tenure as the Rector of St Monnica’s